ProTrack I, hi Freq, hi Resis

Started by Al1234, November 18, 2023, 11:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al1234

Hi every one. The protrack kj4 specialy shows capacitance in both channels in higher Frequency and resistance setting.
The kj3 unit is not as bad, as seen in the pictures.
Any suggestion where and how to start correcting this issue.
There is a tiny difference when leads are connected than when not. Seen in pictures.

fetron

Hi!

Please warm up 20 min.
Next step: run the Autocal and testing.

jvthorsley

Sounds a good idea from Fetron.
Can't wait to hear the next episode!!

admin

Needs the Loop Calc to be run from Workstation and when prompted if you want to upload the calc settings to the ProTrack click yes (or OK, doing this from memory).
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

Al1234

Thank you. I have done this before I think. But I will do it again and report back once done.

Al1234

Perfect that fixed it. Thank you all. Though when I set it up on 100Kohms the graph shows just a slight resistance. And back to 50Kohms line stays flat.
But It's a 1000% better now.

admin

The slight angle at 100Kohms at 5KHz is pretty much normal as it was difficult to compensate for low level capacitance on an analog CRT. With the current digital Trackers it is not an issue.

Al1234

Al1234

Good morning, I have another question regarding the ProTrack (KJ4 or KJ3), setting. Perhaps it needs it's own topic.
The factory default setup has resistance:
Low    54 Ohm
Mid 1  1.24 KOhm
Mid 2  27.6 KOhm

These resistance setting are not selectable through the encoder nub.
Can users set up resistance besides the 13 selectable ones?

admin

Yes. There are 20 Groups beside SMT, Passive, Factory, TLL, Caps, etc. that can be configured by the user. This is done through the front panel. Press Menu, then Group Edit, then select the Group (Button just below the Menu button) and rotate the encoder until you see Group 20. You can edit this one or any of the other 19 Groups. Use the Name button to change the Group name if you want.

admin

To elaborate a bit further on this topic, you can set up your own Groups but you can also set up your own custom Ranges. Press the MENU button, then Range Edit. You have 100 spots for custom ranges. Select the Range position in the upper left, the settings on the right side and change the name on the bottom left. These custom ranges can be added to a custom Group.

This is some of the cool stuff the ProTrack had that was not carried over to newer products.

jvthorsley

Hi Curtis
Your comment "This is some of the cool stuff the ProTrack had that was not carried over to newer products".
Reminds me you can't take the output from the internal Scanner on the 3200S to a DMM or counter.
Perhaps when the warranty period has expired someone might have a look inside the unit and see if it can be done as on the ProTrack Scanner.

admin

Quote from: jvthorsley on March 01, 2024, 07:19:48 AMHi Curtis
Your comment "This is some of the cool stuff the ProTrack had that was not carried over to newer products".
Reminds me you can't take the output from the internal Scanner on the 3200S to a DMM or counter.
Perhaps when the warranty period has expired someone might have a look inside the unit and see if it can be done as on the ProTrack Scanner.
It would be possible but a bit destructive rerouting the connection between the main PCB and the Scanner PCB. I guess if you were not using a prober you could use the BNC connectors on the back as your external connections.