ProTrack Scanner failing Scanner Check

Started by Al1234, January 06, 2023, 11:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al1234

I have a question, in the failed scanner loop Calc above, what is the MaxDif= ? what are the units of these numbers? Milliohms?

admin

MaxDiff is the difference in signature data that is above 0 when compared to our reference values. If MaxDiff excedes the Tolerance (TOL) then it will fail that step. The units are the data points derived from the signature waveforms. Here is a more in depth explanation about Tolerance that I wrote for the old FAQs on the website:

What is Tolerance and how is it calculated?

The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

Al1234

Perfect thank you I'm going to read that as soon as I get out of the car:-)

Al1234

I got much better and shorter about 16" coax cable by Pomona and  shorter good quality network cable. Scanner still not passing the loop test lots of fails

admin

We should clarify some terminology here. Loop Calc is a process run on the ProTrack and is not a diagnostic for the Scanner. Clicking the Loop Calc button will cause all of the diagnostics to be run (including the Scanner test if one is connected) prior to the Loop Calc process. This is done to make sure the Tracker is working properly before running the Loop Calc. Since the Scanner test fails the diagnostics never gets to the point of running the actual Loop Calc process. You can bypass the diagnostics and go straight to the Loop Calc process by using the right-click, left-click trick described earlier in this thread. The title of this thread should probably be changed to "ProTrack Scanner is failing the Scanner Test".

If you are going to be using the Scanner then of course you should fix the problem. One thought would be to check the connections from the BNC connectors to the ProTrack main PCB. Maybe they are slightly corroded adding some resistance to the signal line.
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

Al1234

Thank you. I will go through the unit this weekend.
Let me see if I can change the title on my side to what's recommended.
I don't seem to know how to change the title but please feel free to change it to what you think is appropriate for the Forum.