Huntron Protrack KJ2

Started by dogansabanoglu, November 07, 2023, 06:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Welcome to the Huntron Users Forum, Dogansabanoglu.

As we discussed in our PMs, did you get a chance to replace the electrolytic caps? This still could be a power issue.
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jvthorsley

Concur with Curtis on this .
As mentioned on this Forum from my experience with a couple of KJ2's with degradation of Electrolytic Capacitors they  are liable to leak electrolyte and do their worst on the copper track. As happened on my ProTrack. Especially the 47 uF Capacitors on the main board.
But would say the KJ2 is a better buy than the KJ3 because you can get it to run with the most recent version of Workstation. And if you haven't got the USB card you can get one on EBay!!  But with the USB card on EBay you will need to fabricate the metal supports.

dogansabanoglu

Hello, I was able to turn on the device today.I replaced the 47 microfarad capacitors.  I checked the yellow capacitors and they seem solid.The problem on the LCD screen is gone, but it continues to show as a short circuit when switching to scan mode on the tube.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T2wr7QI5toOvR1m3GtQUzVTmfJp5HsGT/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VeF_NloAvjapYga-v-FxvjktQ8D_0_L1/view?usp=drivesdk

admin

Do you see the same effect if you use channel B? Do you see a short circuit signature if you short your test leads together?

Select a different range set such as SMT (Menu button; Group Edit; button below Menu button; rotate encoder to select SMT; press Menu button) then try the Scan mode. A different range set will use different relays.

jvthorsley

Hi
"I checked the yellow capacitors and they seem solid".
Do you mean the Tantalum Capacitors or decoupling capacitors below I uF?
As I'm sure you know when a Tantalum Capacitors fails you can smell it if not see it!
when you "Scan Mode" do you mean Scanner Mode using the Scanner to scan pins.
And if you set the Pins / Package to SIP.
Then selecting pins from 0 to whatever set and using the Encoder Knob to scan though pins.
Do you get a vertical trace on all the pins or only when the appropriate pin on the 64-WAY IDC connector is shorted to COM?

The CRT looks good no discernible horizontal burn .
But you could turn the brightness down and adjust the astig & focus to get a sharper trace.

dogansabanoglu

Yes, the same thing happens in SMT mode.

admin

Does it happen with Channel B??

I researched the relays in this circuit and it could be a faulty shorting relay (there are three). The channel A shorting relay is K34 (1FA), channel B is K36 (1FA). There is also a shorting relay between A and B, K33 (1FA). These could be damaged from a surge through the probes. It could also be the switching relay (switches A and B), K35 (2FA).

dogansabanoglu

Yes, there is the same problem on channel B.  I checked the relays you mentioned.  All working.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XbjqN-xBZBvM5t4fsVdNop_v_jaO_OQ7/view?usp=drivesdk

fetron

Hello dogansabanoglu!

Please check power supply points:

The reference point for all voltage measurements is the Protrack front banana socket common. Multimeter common to Protrack common.

LOCATION               VOLTAGE                             NAME / FUNCTION
L5 (J22 side)           +4.75 to +5.25 VDC             +5V, +5 volt DC supply for mostly digital circuits

U37 pin 2 (center)  +11.4 to +12.6 VDC             +12V supply

+5A (near C176)     +4.75 to +5.25 VDC             +5A, +5 VDC analog supply

-5A (near C176)      -4.75 to -5.25 VDC               -5A, -5 VDC analog supply

C58 (- lead)             -22.8 to -25.2 VDC              -24V, -24 VDC analog supply

C64 (+ lead)           +22.8 to +25.2 VDC             +24V, +24VDC analog supply

U80 (pin 3)             -11.4 to -12.6 VDC               -12V, -12V LCD supply

These points must also be checked during range changes.
How much do the voltage values jump during the range change?

dogansabanoglu

Hello, I checked the points you mentioned.  All voltages appear normal.