Pro Track-Audible warning on compare.

Started by jvthorsley, August 23, 2012, 07:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvthorsley

I have just acquired a Pro Track1, Model 20 and would like to know if Huntron has a similar feature as the Polar T6000. The Polar T6000 is similar to the Huntron Tracker 2000 + DSI 700 but with more features. A very useful feature on the Polar T6000 called "Beep Mode" is a facility to sound an audible warning alarm when the deviation between two signatures under comparison exeeds a specified value. This feature enables the operator to probe the devices under test without looking away from the circuit boards. When this option is selected the T6000 switches both channels on in probes only mode. During a comparison the current tolerance is displayed and a audible warning will sound if the deviation between signatures exceeds the value set for Tolerance.
Is this a feature that that the Workstation software would give me? Does the Pro Track and Scanner actually know when there is a differance between two signatures and if so is there an output on the Pro Track control board that could be connected to an audible warning device?
Also just to test the Pro Track I am using a newish PC with Windows 98 and Workstation Ver. 2.2 (Originally used for the Huntron DSI) it appears to work but frequently get the comment "Error 1, Parallel API time out". I think I read somewhere on this forum about putting in a delay on new fast PC's, is this so and how do I do it.

admin

Hi,
An audible indication of a signature difference is not possible with the ProTrack or software. The ProTrack WILL beep when a "local" (non-PC controlled) scan is completed with the Scanner though.
About the Parallel error, we generally see this happen because of the Parallel Port mode setting in the PC BIOS. Make sure it is not to ECP or EPP. It should be set to a standard or bidirectional (name depends on the BIOS) mode. An option would be to upgrade the ProTrack to USB. There is more information here (scroll down a bit on the page - Sept. 2004):
http://www.huntron.com/corporate/prodnews.htm

Thanks.
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jvthorsley

Thanks for your comments. Have Huntron designed the "Beep Mode" feature in any of their equipment?
I have asked the local supplier to quote for a USB upgrade kit. But I will try another Centronics port adapter and wonder if using the unofficial Windows 98 second edition might have contributed to the parallel port conection problems. But to be fair to this version of Windows I was able to run the Workstation Ver. 2.2 ProTrack diagnostics and identify one reed relay with high resistance. And run the other tests OK. The conection problem is very intermittent, some times the program will go on for some time and then keep stopping.The system bios has the onboard parallel port set at "Normal".

jvthorsley

I thought I read somewhere on the Huntron web site or this forum that their could be problems running old versions of Windows and early versions of Workstation software on fast new systems and this could cause connection problems.

admin

Late reply, I know, I know...

The PC speed issue was only a problem with old DOS version and only with the Tracker 5100DS. Windows versions were okay.
Linkage: http://www.huntron.com/sales-support/faqs.htm#3Q1
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.