ProTrack I model 20

Started by Paula Silva, January 12, 2023, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paula Silva

Good evening everybody, my name is Paula Silva, I'm a portuguese electronics R&D engineer and this is my first post here.
A few months ago I've risked a "forbidden" purchase: I've acquired a Protrack I model 20 from eBay, with the dreaded KJ3 serial number (USN) and without the P28F001BX-T150 flash. Well, No problem for me, because I've worked years ago with a similar tracker (S/N KJ2-xxxxx), and I have the binary of its flash (06-5069). Flashed a new chip, inserted it in the socket and "voilá", tracker working!
The tracker works fine, well calibrated, but when I try to save some parameters it crashes, and erases some blocks of the beforementioned flash chip. I reflash it again, and it works fine again. It seems that KJ2 firmware doesn't like KJ3 hardware...
Well, I know that I've risked a lot but fortunately the only problems it had was its missing flash, and wayyyy to dirty inside.
Is there any good soul that can send me the *correct* firmware for this KJ3 or some info (technical or not) regarding this situation? Of course I'll send some pictures of it on request.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

fetron

Dear Paula!

Find the admin by email. KJ2 flash is not good for KJ3.

jvthorsley

Anyone tried the ProTrack KJ4 firmware on a KJ3 ProTrack?
I know that with the KJ2 version you can have two ProTracks with the same Serial No. if they both have the same firmware.
But not sure with the KJ3 / KJ4 if the Serial No. is transportable like this.
I suspect Curtis will move this discussion to "Out of production hardware"!!

admin

Hello Paula,
Give this KJ4 firmware a try.
P28f001BX 4.5 F/W
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

Paula Silva

Thanks a lot, Curtis! Haven't got much time today, but will give feedback ASAP.  :)

Paula Silva

Well, still locked when I try to update parameters. It gives me the message "Writing to Flash     DO NOT TURN OFF    Wait Minimum of         30 Seconds", I wait *a lot* and nothing happpens; When I read the flash, some of its blocks are blank...

Paula Silva

Let'r try if this photo shows up...

fetron

Dear Paula!

Remove the flash ic from Protrack and use an external universal programmer (e.g. Minipro TL866).
After you have programmed the flash ic, put it back in the ic socket and it will be ready for use.

Paula Silva

Hi Fetron, that's what I keep doing everytime the ProTrack bricks! I do have a Dataman 48pro+ programmer as well as the KJ2 and KJ4 firmware, but with both of them the tracker behaves the same. I would like if anyone here has the KJ3 flash to check if the tracker is malfunctioning elsewhere. If so, it'll be reopened and I will search for the problem.

Thanks for the answer, anyway!  ;)

fetron

Dear Paula!

When will you post the message below?
"Writing to Flash, DO NOT TURN OFF, Wait Minimum of 30 Seconds"

Directly after switching on?

Delete the Flash ic working in Protrack KJ2.
Put the KJ3 flash content on it and test it.

Paula Silva

Hi, Fetron.
That message appears as soon as I try to SAVE any parameter I Change, but before that the tracker works just fine. When I flash any firmware whatsoever the CRT trace is off-centered and slight slanted, the LCD contrast is high, and when I calibrate those parameters the tracker adjusts them as normal, but when I press "SAVE" it shows that message (with the KJ2 flash doesn´t appear any message at all) and in both situations the tracker erases some (if not all) blocks of the flash itself, ruining the firmware.

Regarding both flash files I have (KJ2 and KJ4) they all do basically the same to the firmware I just program - it keeps been overwritten and the tracker bricks.

jvthorsley

Hi Paula
I know this won't solve your main problem but to straighten your CRT trace do this.
On the front panel of your ProTrack select MENU / PREFS / ADVANCED / CRTROT.
And then turn the Encoder Knob in the appropriate direction to get a vertical trace.
This is what you do on a KJ2 ProTrack, can't be sure it is the same on a KJ3 PrioTrack!
You should also be able to adjust the brightness of the trace from this menu.
And from the trim pots on the HV board mounted to the left of the CRT on the case.

fetron

Dear Paula!
Let's start troubleshooting.

1. Create a new Flash for Protrack KJ3.
2. Disconnect and leave disconnected:
- the +12V power supply connector (3 poles) on the Protrack HV board,
- and the J11 connector on the Protrack motherboard.
3. Insert the Flash IC.
4. Turn on Protrack and try to change the volume setting, then save the volume setting.

Is it possible to save or is there an error during saving?

Paula Silva

Hi, Fetron. Done all that and the tracker keeps showing the annexed message; After 15 minutes (!) when I'm fed up and have to turn the ProtTrack off, most of the flash blocks are filled with FFh, as per the second annexed image (that sector is the *only* part which wasn't cleared). After this, I reflash the P28F001BX-T120 and the tracker returns to it's "half live" until I try to save some parameters.

fetron

Dear Paula!

Did you do everything I wrote in the message on January 22, 2023 at 02:35:55?