Other uses for a ProTrack Scanner

Started by jvthorsley, March 23, 2021, 12:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvthorsley

A question Curtis
In my other contribution to this Forum "Manual versus Automated PCB Testing" using the output from the Scanner connected to a DMM+ the Scanner utility on the ProTrack menu to quickly make resistance measurements though the 64-way IDC connector.
As the Relay contacts are isolated could the above configuration be used on a live TTL logic circuit to check voltages on IC's with an IC clip? Or on circuits say up to 12 V.D.C. or A.C.?

admin

Hmmm... I don't see why not. The current levels should be pretty low. The max voltage rating for the contacts on those relays was 200V though I would not risk going to that high. :)
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jvthorsley

Thanks Curtis
Using my Agillent 34410A DMM I don't think would take much current on voltage measurements.

admin

Update to this test method developed by James--

It is possible to use Huntron Workstation to control the scanning with this setup.

The ProTrack is connected to the Scanner by the interface cable only and a Workstation supported DMM test line can be connected to the Scanner Channel A BNC connector. The COM connection on the DMM is connected directly to a common line that goes one side of all resistors on the fixture. The Channel A Scanner interface is connected to the fixture through a ribbon cable.
The test in Workstation is setup to use the Scanner as the Connection Type (set at the Component level).

The advantage here is that Workstation can be used to store and compare the measured DMM values captured through the ProTrack Scanner essentially using it as a switch matrix.

There is a tutorial on the Huntron website that discusses using a DMM with Huntron Workstation:
https://huntron.com/sales-support/download/workstation-tutorial-dmm.pdf

jvthorsley

With help from Curtis I have used this method to test a number of circuit boards as I discussed on the Forum, but this time using Workstation to store the results.
Particularly useful useful for finding high resistance shorts between connector pins.
I found that the most reliable results against speed are obtained with a delay of 0.5 second using an Agilent 34410A +  workstation on my ProTrack + Scanner setup.
I work on agricultural circuit boards that are exposed to a damp,& dusty environment, and although only operating at 12 V.D.C. have lots of available current were a resistance of a few M Ohms, can rapidly fall to a few Ohms, and start heating up the area between connector pins.
As can be seen on my attached photo, and end up like the fire in second photo.
1 M Ohm  to 50 k Ohm short between pins can cause some strange CAN BUS faults for the Farmer.
If ever I get my hands on a 3200S, would be interesting to find the output from the relays and see if the same thing can be done. That is if it uses a similar internal setup?
If anyone wants details the adaptor used for this test just reply here.

fetron

Dear James!

What interface do you use to communicate with the 34410 dmm? (e.g. Gpib - usb converter?)

admin

The only interface Huntron Workstation supports is USB.

jvthorsley

Hi Curtis and best wishes for Christmas.
I know Workstation only supports a USB Port.
But will it support the usual setup using a USB cable from the PC to ProTrack.
But RJ45 type cable from a 34410A DMM to the PC through the Ethernet Ports.
Would this work?

admin

No. The connection to the DMM has to be USB to work with Workstation.

jvthorsley

Recently as reported on this Forum I found I had a problem with my Agilent / Keysight 34410A DMM.
But thanks to Curtis for all his assistance on this to sort problems with re-installation of Workstation.
I did find out myself that the 34410A DMM does not work with Windows 11, either connected as a browser on a PC to control the DMM, or through Keysights Connection Expert software.
And would not communicate with Huntron Workstation 4.3. used with my Huntron ProTrack + Scanner.
Windows 11 appears to work fine with Workstation running a ProTrack + Scanner but will not communicate with a 34410A.
Has anyone else had problems with Windows 11?
Unfortunately I had exceeded the time Microsoft gives you to simply wind back to Windows 10.
So had to reinstall a copy of Windows 10.

Keysights Connection Expert is a very useful free program for testing communication with their test gear.