Huntron Access Prober (non usb)

Started by Al1234, January 30, 2023, 10:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al1234

hi there, I was wondering if I can get a schematics or technical manual for huntron access (non USB version), please.

admin

Technical information has never been released but what do you need to know?
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

Al1234

Need to see the board connection to the host computer, serial, GPIB or other, and also the motion control board brand, model, in put and outputs. please. 

admin

The HS20 and HS20USB stepper motor controllers were made by Cyberpak who I believe is no longer in business. We have never had schematics for their PCB.

The controller used CyberVec commands. We have never documented the commands used since they are written into Workstation. I think the command structure should be pretty easy to find online. I did find this with a quick search:
https://archive.org/stream/manualzilla-id-5743253/5743253_djvu.txt

Huntron used both serial and USB versions of their controller. The serial version will work with a serial to USB adapter cable and connect to a PC USB port.

Al1234

Thank you for that I do have the user manual for HS20USB. It says that it has a serial connector as well which is right below the USB. And since I'm stuck with the 3.5 software I'd like to run the prober using the serial connector. I did configure the serial number as it says in the manual. But it doesn't work not even with software made to test devices connected through serial ports.

admin

If you have the Access Prober connected to a PC and run a Terminal program you should see the Cybervec version message when powering the Prober on OR when pressing the STOP button. If you see this message then you are good to go if you plan to use Workstation.

Al1234

I will give it a try this evening but when I get to the workshop. But first I'll have to figure out what that means LOL . Thank you

admin

Quote from: Al1234 on February 01, 2023, 11:23:37 AMI will give it a try this evening but when I get to the workshop. But first I'll have to figure out what that means LOL . Thank you

We used that Cyberpak controller for a long time. Here is a old thread that may help your situation:
https://huntron.com/forum/index.php?topic=128.msg382#msg382

Al1234

On the HS20USB board it says in the manual j402 is the serial port connection.
I wired a idc 10 pin to serial as it says in the manual. connected it to a computer running xp pro sp3, 32 bit with serial port but it does not respond to any command.
When I plug in the USB though it repomds to commands some and HS20USB shows under device / ports as US20JSB., but when connected though the serial port it does not show in ports or anywhere i dont think. though, computer makes a sound and Device Manager window refreshes.

Maybe I'm not connecting it to the computer correctly is it connected to a national instrument serial adapter or any serial port on a computer?

admin

The serial port on a first generation, non-USB Access Prober was a 9 pin connection. I guess I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish. The Access was not supported in Workstation 3.5.4 software so if you want to use your USB Prober system as designed you will need to upgrade to v4. Maybe you plan to use the Access for some other non-Huntron function???

jvthorsley

Hi Bob
The only information I have is the ProTrack Prober Models I, II, III, User Manual.
I think Curtis has pretty well answered your question you emailed me this morning.
Although it will cost you a bit I would splash on on Workstaion 4.3.
Does a lot more for you.
And perhaps the Huntron CEO (Mr. Grams) might look on me more favourably for saying this!!!!!

admin

Quote from: Al1234 on February 01, 2023, 01:06:34 PMOn the HS20USB board it says in the manual j402 is the serial port connection.
I wired a idc 10 pin to serial as it says in the manual. connected it to a computer running xp pro sp3, 32 bit with serial port but it does not respond to any command.
When I plug in the USB though it repomds to commands some and HS20USB shows under device / ports as US20JSB., but when connected though the serial port it does not show in ports or anywhere i dont think. though, computer makes a sound and Device Manager window refreshes.

Maybe I'm not connecting it to the computer correctly is it connected to a national instrument serial adapter or any serial port on a computer?

I would suggest you be careful modifying the controller. If it gets damaged it may be difficult to repair and there are no replacements.

Al1234

Oh I am carefull. I wasn't thinking about doing modification really just using the given serial port instead of the USB.  :'(
And I was asking what kind of communication port was used on the non USB type Huntron Access Prober?
What kind of motion control board and internal wiring diagram? :'(  :'(

Thank you Jvthorsley for the picture, but that is the out side of the chassis. It is helpful and it actually brings up new questions to mind.
I need wiring diagram from inside and or some help to Connect Huntron Access Prober via serial, parallel or gpib....
I do see multiple parallel connected what are they used for? one is printer what's the other one for? :-\

I hate to break it to you Jvthorsley, at Huntron they already know my interest in purchasing WS 4.3. so, I don't think you're going to get a commission on a sale of a WS 4.3 to me if it ever happens.
You have been a great help on this forum to me and I'm sure to others, thank you for that.

On a lighter note, I hear the commission for selling 1 software is a ticket to Disneyland. But it does not cover the trip cost.  ;D  ;D .

admin

Quote from: Al1234 on February 01, 2023, 07:28:36 PMOh I am carefull. I wasn't thinking about doing modification really just using the given serial port instead of the USB.  :'(
And I was asking what kind of communication port was used on the non USB type Huntron Access Prober?
What kind of motion control board and internal wiring diagram? :'(  :'(

Thank you Jvthorsley for the picture, but that is the out side of the chassis. It is helpful and it actually brings up new questions to mind.
I need wiring diagram from inside and or some help to Connect Huntron Access Prober via serial, parallel or gpib....
I do see multiple parallel connected what are they used for? one is printer what's the other one for?

The first generation Access Prober used a Cyberpak motor controller with a serial (9 pin) port. We later used the USB version. My question is why do you want to try to connect to the your USB controller in some other way (serial, GPIB, etc.)?  It makes no sense.

Al1234

The software. WS 3.5 won't connect to WS 3.5, it seems.
Is there a way to connect with USB?