Question about the Huntron Tracker 2000

Started by jamesbtex, July 25, 2014, 04:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesbtex

I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to.
I know all the components that we use on the primary side of the power supplies we manufacture can be diagnosed with the 2000.
However the power supplies we manufacture are High Voltage power supplies so there are a few specialized components on the output.
For example there are high voltage diodes that make up the voltage multiplier section.

These are build internally differently then normal diodes. They are build in stacks.
Does the Huntron have the ability to analyze (provide signatures) when probing across HV diodes??

admin

Hi James,
A lot depends on the overall construction of the diode. The Tracker 2000 has a HIGH range that uses a 60V peak sine wave. If the breakdown voltage of the diode is lower than 60V then you will see a usable signature. If the breakdown voltage is higher then the Tracker will show an open circuit signature. But also keep in mind that many semiconductors have leakage failures which means that they become resistive. In many cases this leakage resistance shows up in the signature regardless of the breakdown voltage.
I hope this helps.
Thanks.

Admin
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.