No Pulse Generator on new Huntrons + "Dead" stock.

Started by jvthorsley, August 29, 2012, 02:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvthorsley

I have used impedance signature analyzer for some years, both Huntron & Polar and have always found the pulse generator facility on this equipment very useful.
I do quite a few repairs on Fork Lift Truck electronics and frquently need to test the IGBT's switch on & off and use the pulse generator to do this. Also use it for testing Opto's and Triacs / SCR's.
So I am surprised that the newer Huntrons such as the Tracker Model 30 and Tracker 2800 & 2800S do not have this facility .
So I think I will continue to use my Tracker 2000 + DSI700 and ProTrack 1, Model 20 with Scanner 1. I also note that the ProTrack seems to have a wider range of stimulus than the newer Huntrons.

One other point I want to upgrade my ProTrack to use a USB port and my local dealer Terotest over here in the UK tells me that the USB upgrade for my ProTrack 1 with Serial No. prefix KJ2 is "No longer a live product" so really hope you guys in Huntron can help me out.

cimbian

James,
As mentioned in my email a short while ago, the USB upgrade for your ProTrack is no longer available and we shall endeavour to make this more clear on the website. thank you for bringing this to our attention.

With regard to the features of our current range of products, these are defined as a result of extensive consultation with our customers; unfortunately it is not possible to retain all features of older, obsolete equipment.

Steve.
English may be a strange language but I can assure you that an empty-head and an open-mind are not the same thing!

admin

I should jump in here and clarify that although it is not a "pulse generator" the Tracker 2800/2800S has a built-in DC voltage source that is used similar to the pulse generator in the ProTrack. I use it quite often for relay and optocoupler testing.
The Tracker Model 30 is typically used differently in that it is completely software controlled and generally connected to a Scanner or Prober.
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jvthorsley

But the Tracker 2000 and ProTrack have  the added adavantage of a true pulse generator that could be varied from negative pulses to positive going pulses or variable D.C.
I did not realize the 2800 had a separate D.C. supply so guess this would be good for testing the large IGBT's used on Fork Lift Truck electronics.

jvthorsley

Still no mention on this website of non-availability of USB for Pro Track!

admin

Just to clarify for the Huntron community... For a time there was a USB upgrade made available for parallel port ProTracks. This upgrade has been discontinued. The Huntron web site has also been updated.
Thanks.

jvthorsley

Where on the web site is the announcement about the USB upgrade for the ProTrack being no longer available?
Or is it hiding!!

jvthorsley

Don't see any mention of the ProTrack USB adapter no longer being available on this web site.
And I do wonder about the "extensive consultation" with your customerS claimed by Steve Hooper at Cimbian in the U.K.
I consider you make an inferior product by not including features from older equipment on new products.
I'm sure I am not the only engineer who would disagree with Steve Hooper's " extensive consultation with customers ".
Windows XP is an example of a product being phased out in spring next year that is being replaced with a memory hungry system just for the sake of constantly bringing out a new model that is not necessarily better.

admin

I am not going to get into a debate on features here but berating a manufacturer's product on their own Forum is rather bold especially if you do not know the reasoning behind their product changes.
We are a company that listens to our users and they all have their opinions. You never know what the future holds but sometimes you might be surprised.

jvthorsley

No offence meant Curtis. And will look forward to future developments but doubt this poor self employed engineer will be able to afford your new design.

admin

As a follow up to this old discussion, the Huntron Tracker 3200S was released a couple of months ago. The 3200S is the commercial version of the Tracker Model 32 developed for the US military to replace their aging ProTrack units so most of the features carried over including the Pulse Generator. It can be used stand-alone or with the Huntron Workstation software. Here is a link to the Tracker 3200S product page on the web site:
http://www.huntron.com/products/tracker3200s.htm

jvthorsley

The 3200s appears to be similar to the old ProTrack, has pulse generator etc.
Would love to get my hands on one to compare with my ProTrack.