Buyer Beware - Used KJ3 ProTracks being sold

Started by admin, August 23, 2022, 08:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al1234

Quote from: admin on September 26, 2022, 06:57:02 AMAs the designs for the ProTrack main board changed (caused by parts going obsolete) the firmware would change with them. Functionally, all of the ProTracks were the same. The KJ3 units had some differences that were requested by the Navy (such as the yellow banana test jack on the back) that did not relate to how they were used by the techs.

May I ask what is the same Jack doing in KJ4s?

jvthorsley

Hi
I asked Curtis about this a while back.
Was it a Military secret?
His reply was"The yellow test jack was used a secondary verification of the output signal for the Navy guys to check their ProTracks. I would not bother installing it since was never used on commercial versions.
It's no secret but I looked for information on the output. No luck so far.
AR14.5 is part of the voltage follower circuit so I would think you would see 0VDC but a sinewave of some level as the range changes".
I think I will avoid the KJ3 versions of the ProTrack. Less hassle to replace any faulty hole through components on the KJ1 & KJ2 versions. Have yet to try the KJ3 firmware on my KJ2 version.

Al1234

thank you for the reply jvthorsley,
the picture I sent with my question was off of a KJ4 which has the yellow jack.

fetron

The yellow socket can be used on all Protracks for the following.

The Meter/Frequency check menu (Voltmeter and frequency meter calibration) can be found in the Workstation Protrack diagnostics program.
This requires the yellow banana socket on the back of the Protrack.

Yellow banana connections:
-KJ3 version AR14 opamp / 5. pin +in.           
-KJ2 version U43 opamp / 3. pin +in.

For all measurements, the front panel black banana socket is the GND.

A 6.5-digit dmm is required for calibration.

1. measurement DCVolt measurement. Calibration of the G1, G2 generator output. 10Vdc appears on the front panel G1, G2 banana socket. 10V divided on the yellow socket on the back (1/10 division) 1.000000Vdc. The value read from the dmm must be entered in the window of the Meter check procedure.

2. measurement ACVolt measurement. 6Vpeak calibration. Front panel A ch. output sine signal 4.243Vac rms.
Divided on the back yellow socket (1/10 division) 0.424300 Vac rms. The value read from the dmm must be entered in the window of the Meter check procedure.

3. measurement ACVolt measurement. 20Vpeak calibration. Front panel A ch. output sine signal 14.142Vac divided. Divided on the yellow socket on the back (1/10 division) 1.414200Vac rms. The value read from the dmm must be entered in the window of the Meter check procedure.

4. measurement Frequency measurement. 200.000000Hz calibration on the yellow socket on the back. The value read from the dmm must be entered in the window of the Meter check procedure.

If the calibration is good, the text "Pass" is displayed.

Al1234

That's great to know. thank you. 
For now I will let that sleeping dog lie.

admin

I stand corrected on my statement that the yellow jack was only on KJ3 units. Learn something new every day.  :)
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.