Huntron Protrack I - It resets itself

Started by ealonso, October 10, 2023, 07:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ealonso

Hello.

I have a problem whit a Protrack I model 10, during a external electronic board test, it resets itself, i have tried to power off and power on again, but when i try to test a electronic board, it resets again.

Can anyone help me?
Does anyone have solve this?

Thank you so much.

admin

Welcome to the Huntron Users Forum, ealonso.
Does the reset occur as you touch the probes to the PCB? You may be probing a voltage source on the PCB such as a large capacitor. Make sure any big caps are discharged and that the PCB is not attached to power.
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

ealonso

Hello.

Thanks for the welcome and the quick answer.

No, the reset occurs when i touch the probes with the common, for example, if i have the A (or B) probe and and the common probe, both at the air, and the A probe tocuh the common, the system goes to the reset.

admin

What are the range (voltage, resistance, frequency) settings when you power on the the ProTrack? Have tried setting the ProTrack to a different range before shorting the leads together? Did the ProTrack work okay previously?

fetron

Hello ealonso!

Please check power supply points:

The reference point for all voltage measurements is the Protrack front banana socket common. Multimeter common to Protrack common.

LOCATION               VOLTAGE                             NAME / FUNCTION
L5 (J22 side)           +4.75 to +5.25 VDC             +5V, +5 volt DC supply for mostly digital circuits

U37 pin 2 (center)  +11.4 to +12.6 VDC             +12V supply

+5A (near C176)     +4.75 to +5.25 VDC             +5A, +5 VDC analog supply

-5A (near C176)      -4.75 to -5.25 VDC               -5A, -5 VDC analog supply

C58 (- lead)             -22.8 to -25.2 VDC              -24V, -24 VDC analog supply

C64 (+ lead)           +22.8 to +25.2 VDC             +24V, +24VDC analog supply

U80 (pin 3)             -11.4 to -12.6 VDC               -12V, -12V LCD supply

jvthorsley

Good advice from Fetron
And as said on this Forum before Electrolytic Capacitors on a ProTrack of this vintage could cause problems!

ealonso

When i turns it on, the range is 10v 54Ohm, 100Hz. I have been working with this protrack many years without problems.

I have checked all the power supply points that Fetron told me, but all the measurent is ok.

the problem is not contiuous, it occurs sometimes randomly

jvthorsley

As written on this Forum previously I found Capacitors on the logic board on my ProTrack 20, KJ2 had leaked corrosive electrolyte that had eaten away some of the copper track.

Al1234

Quote from: admin on October 10, 2023, 08:27:52 AMWelcome to the Huntron Users Forum, ealonso.
Does the reset occur as you touch the probes to the PCB? You may be probing a voltage source on the PCB such as a large capacitor. Make sure any big caps are discharged and that the PCB is not attached to power.
this happened to me. but luckily after turning the unit off/on it turn on OK that time.
working on equipment, not ProTrack, I have had this problem with equipment turn off / on when load is applied to their system and I found this was due to bad power switch or loose contact either on connections and or relays.

admin

My thought is that power supply is starting to fail because when the leads are shorted in the LOW range there is a large current demand. Set the ProTrack to a range such as 3V, 1Kohms ( a much lower current demand) and short the leads. Replace the electrolytic caps as JVTHorsley suggested.

It appears that ProTrack has had some modifications. The white text, blue background LCD is definitely not original. It is also one of the first production run ProTrack Model 10 units based on the serial number. It was likely upgraded to a Model 20 later on. It also needs a very good cleaning! 

ealonso

Yes, i had modified some things on this unit, i had done the high voltage power supply mod and i have changed the old lcd, for a new one, in white and blue.

Although the voltage measurement is right, i will change all the electrolitic capacitors and i will try it again  :D

ealonso

Hi everyone

After the capacitors replace and a few days of use, it seems that the problem has desapeared.  ;D  ;D

Thank you so much.

admin

Quote from: ealonso on November 06, 2023, 06:27:03 AMHi everyone

After the capacitors replace and a few days of use, it seems that the problem has desapeared.  ;D  ;D

Thank you so much.
Thanks for the update.