Setup config for SIP? DIP?? SOMETHING???

Started by AES Wind, August 27, 2009, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AES Wind

I've got a 20 pin connector that I'm trying to set up for a scan.  I want to reorient the scan & numbers.  I had it:

1-----------10
11----------20

The problem is I need it to go:

1 3 5 7 9   11
2 4 6 8 10 12     etc....  Can I get it to scan that way, or do I have to fiddle with the numbering?

what do I use?  I'm not doing something right,  >:( please show me the way.............................................................

That is if you're not tooooooo terribly busy. 
Support Our Military.  FLY Navy!

admin

It would be easier to probe it like a DIP package aand rename the pins in the Tree/Pins tab to match the actual pin name. The probe movement would be more efficient this way as well.

Thanks.

Curtis
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

AES Wind

:P  Yeah, I know, but it's just damned confusing with 160 something pins, in 12 different rows, four different directions, blah, blah, blah. . . .    Or maybe I'm just easily confused.   Nah, that can't be it. 

gman

If you rename pin numbers they will not match the schematic or CAD. I just simply(?) teach each one individually keeping the numbering. You maybe can rename them like 1,2(3),3(5),...11(2), 12(4), etc.  Uh, too complicated?? ???

AES Wind

No, no.  I'm trying to get it to match the schematics.  Therein lies my problem.  The numbering starts in the middle of a row and goes in a word wrap fashion across the rows, vice along the rows.  Curtis' initial suggestion of simply renaming them has thus far been the only option I've come across that works, but that's very time intensive.  I'm currently using a "map" that I've drawn up in a copy of the cad.  It didn't take me too long to do, and it's working for me, though I'd still like to wrap my hands around a real way to do it without having a hundreds of short little 3 or 5 pin "components". 

If I'm not on the same page as you gman, do tell. 

gman

D'OH! I looked at your drawings bassackwards. I usually have 40 to 80 pin connectors that are like what you describe except they all start and one end, and I do what I said in my earlier message and that is to teach each individual pin so that after I set pin 1, and the prober moves to the next pin which it thinks is pin 2, I move it to where pin 2 actually is and set that; then repeat the process. You pretty much have to click set and save with a 1 pin group for each pin. This is way time consuming but until there's another setup for the prober software to realize the pins are not in DIP orientation but in an alternating style, then I guess do what you're doing if it works... somewhat. No help at all, huh?

admin

Quote from: gman on November 16, 2009, 12:47:36 PM
D'OH! I looked at your drawings bassackwards. I usually have 40 to 80 pin connectors that are like what you describe except they all start and one end, and I do what I said in my earlier message and that is to teach each individual pin so that after I set pin 1, and the prober moves to the next pin which it thinks is pin 2, I move it to where pin 2 actually is and set that; then repeat the process. You pretty much have to click set and save with a 1 pin group for each pin. This is way time consuming but until there's another setup for the prober software to realize the pins are not in DIP orientation but in an alternating style, then I guess do what you're doing if it works... somewhat. No help at all, huh?

If you want to Teach a multi-pin component in this fashion then I would recommend setting the component as a "Probe" package. The reason being is that the Pin field will automatically increment to the next pin when you click the "Save" button and you do not use the "Pins in Group" field. A "Multi" package really is not set up well for teaching one pin at a time.
Hope this helps.

Curtis
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

AES Wind

Update>>>>>>  I've got a number of socketed clocks and processors that have the same style of pin numbering.  Not a new discovery or anything, but just thought I'd throw it in there for added clarity.