PROTRACK 20B (KJ3) STORE PROBLEM

Started by TRADMARK-X, July 12, 2023, 08:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvthorsley

I don't suppose this relevant either but on the ProTrack KJ2 in the dead of night all I hear when saving is a tick tick at one second intervals!!

Al1234

I will check both mine tonight (kj4 and kj3). Pacific time here

TRADMARK-X

Thanks Jvthorsley,
Sounds like it supposed to do that then, though mine pulses about 3 seconds on 1 second off of bursts & then shorts the relay so on all the time after - does not appear to be causing any issues in use....
I am going to replace the reed relay with a solid state one as sick of it now & don't understand why it's doing it!

On another subject - I noticed that when connected to Workstation diagnostics the units'serial number appears on the diagnostic screen. Where does it get this serial number as the flash is from a different serial numbered unit?
Is it stored on the USB card or somewhere else? Just a bit puzzled as to how it new this?

Cheers,
Mark...

jvthorsley

Hi Trademark
I did mention something like this to Curtis, Tech Support.
Even the Scanner used on the 3200S uses Relays.
The solid state Relays don't give the low resistance required across the contacts I'm told.
But in all other respects could be more reliable than chattering Relay contacts.

admin

The relay in question is not used to switch a Tracker signal. It is used to enable the VPP line on the program chip so it is possible a solid state relay could work. It will be interesting to see if works for Mark.
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

Al1234

Sorry I worked late In the field never made it back to the shop

Al1234

Ok, here it is, both kj3 and kj4 when store button is pressed I hear a couplle series of multiple cliking sounds, then at the end 2 or 3 beeps.
On the kj3 the clicking sounds is a lot quiter, I had to turn off its fan to hear it. I figure it's because of meletery grade (better) component....

TRADMARK-X

Great Al1234 - thanks for checking, that confirms it is supposed to 'pulse' when saving, so no issues there...
I will order a Solid State Relay from RS when I have enough things to order at once - it's working okay at present with the relay stuck closed.

Would be interested in buying a matching scanner (in any condition) if anyone has one for sale?
Would be extremely usefull for testing / comparing IC's....

Cheers,
Mark...

jvthorsley

Hi
Plenty of ProTrack Scanners come on EBay but be prepared to have to change a lot of faulty Relays.
Huntron Workstation Diagnostics will tell which ones to replace.
Farnell & RS stock them. Or Digi-Key & Mouser Stateside.

Al1234

Tradmark, you are very welcome. you know I don't thing there is anything else wrong with the unit. enjoy it.
but I would be interested to see if it makes any difference when you change the relay.
I don't think scanner are easy to come by. I got lucky with 1 a little less than a year ago and am interested in a 2nd. I've not seen any on ebay or anywhere else.
pcb prices are so low I thought about making my own. but 128 relays are not cheap and when it comes to that stuff I am mostly talk..lol     

admin

Quote from: Al1234 on July 25, 2023, 12:45:29 PMpcb prices are so low I thought about making my own. but 128 relays are not cheap and when it comes to that stuff I am mostly talk..lol     

This is why test equipment is so expensive. The Tracker 3200S has 256 relays for the scanner section alone!
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jvthorsley

I have seen the Scanners on EBay not so long ago.
And much to my surprise someone in Florida selling the USB Adaptor cards for ProTrack KJ1& 2.

Al1234

Quote from: jvthorsley on July 25, 2023, 02:31:57 PMI have seen the Scanners on EBay not so long ago.
And much to my surprise someone in Florida selling the USB Adaptor cards for ProTrack KJ1& 2.
I have seen the USB card but not the scanner for ProTrack. there are a couple of cable scanner but not for ProTrack. if you see them let me know please. I am in your emails.

Al1234

Quote from: admin on July 25, 2023, 02:03:36 PMThis is why test equipment is so expensive. The Tracker 3200S has 256 relays for the scanner section alone!

when I thought it would help some issue to go over all the solder joint on the scanner, while doing it I seriously considered quiting electronics repair and diagnostic. it left a bad taste.... this got to be automated
11K for the 3200S and the workstation software! I think is a good deal.   

TRADMARK-X

Hi jvthorsley,

I've been looking but nothing as yet...
Would prefer one with faults as otherwize there is no challenge! + should be a bit cheaper...

Yes, I noticed a USB card on there.

Cheers,
Mark...