Tracker 2000

Started by Steve.AES, November 05, 2018, 11:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve.AES

Hi to all
I have had a tracker 2000 since 1991 and it has been a very good tool which  still use today, however I turned it on the other day and the tube signal looked like it had lost screen grid as instead of a straight line it looked curved( I wished I'd taken a picture) needless to say I could also smell burning. So I stripped it down and replace all the caps
1 22uF 250v
2 3300uF 25v
5 1uF 450v
thinking they might have gone a bit leaky and with having no tester couldn't if any where. I did however notice a burn on the track leading to c16 1uF 450v cleaned it all up re-assembled and tried again screen still showing wrong on display and c16 and C17 running very hot as were the other 2 but didn't seem as hot.

I don't use it as often as I used to but would still like to keep it running as I have now retired and don't really want to be without it and can't really afford to replace with something newer.

So I'm hoping that someone has come across this issue and can help me to correct it? or is it now the time for my 27 year old test set to go into retirement?
Regards
Steve

admin

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the Huntron User's Forums.
This definitely sounds like a power issue so you are on the right track (no pun intended). What is the serial number of the Tracker so I can link you the correct prints?
Thanks!
Curtis (Admin)
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jvthorsley

Hi Steve  Always worth checking old electrolytic capacitors with a ESR meter. And check for leaky diodes.

Steve.AES

My Tracker S/N is 22A04029 and I appreciate your help with this as I'm starting to think it might be the tube as its not been used much over the last 5 years or so and it was taking a long time to come up as I had to have 3/4 brightness then after an hour or so I could reduce it down to to about 1/2.

as for the Electrolytic caps have replaced all 2 X 3300uf 25v   5 X 1uf 450v and 1 X 22uf 250v with same result no signal but what looks like a fly back line?  I have checked for leaky diodes but all look ok so I'm now hunting a tube if anyone can point me in the right direction I have found and emailed some that list the Toshiba 85DB31 tube NSN 5960-01-267-6139 at www.justnsnparts.com and www.lintechcomponents.com
but I saw that Huntron had sold all there old stock of tubes which is a pain.

jvthorsley

Hello Steve
Have you got the circuit diagrams for your Tracker 2000?
Does look like the CRT is still listed after a quick search on Google.

Steve.AES

Just an update on my tracker 2000.
Ive searched the net and found what I thought was suppliers that had the part only to discover that they don't after all have stock bit of a pain really as after asking for quotes you then have to complete in some cases a long questionnaire when all I wanted was Yes we have stock at this price. So now what I'm after does anyone on here know if anyone has stock of the CRT 85DB31 Toshiba tube?
I have also emailed Toshiba which I hope went to the correct dep't asking if they know.

Regards Steve

jvthorsley

Hello Steve
Polar Instruments that used to manufacture the Polar T6000 have two left of the C.R.T's used on this impedance signature analyzer. The C.R.T. used was a AEG D7-233GY.
Have a look on this link:- http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/crts2.html
This company claims the D7-233GY is good for the Huntron Tracker.
If the price is right from Polar I may buy one of these tubes as spare for my still working Polar T6000.
The one useful feature on the PolarT6000 is "Beep mode".
You just set the tolerance and then can compare a known good PCB with a failed PCB without having to look up at the trace on the T6000. Makes comparing several test points that much quicker.
The T6000 beeps every time the tolerance goes out of the set tolerance.
Hope this helps.

Polar Instruments address:-

Polar Instruments Ltd
Garenne Park
Rue de la Cache
St. Sampson
Guernsey UK
GY2 4AF
Email:- martyn.gaudion@polarinstruments.com

Steve.AES

many thanks James I'll try them Steve

Steve.AES

Just noticed on the Tracker 2000 diags that at some point they must have used an NEC tube as there is a change of resistor value  to accommodate it anyone now the part number for it?

jvthorsley

Curtis can you help here?
Just for reference for C.R.T's used on the Tracker 2000.
R46 is connected across potentiometer R45, Intensity control.                                                                       
R46 on the Toshiba C.R.T. is 220 K Ohm.
R46 on the NEC C.R.T. is 510 K Ohm.
But on my Grey cased Tracker 2000A R46 is 360 K Ohm. Tube unknown as don't want to disturb the coil, and screening round the C.R.T. while it still works.

admin

Looking at my documentation for Tracker 2000, serial number less than 22A-18000 would have R46 as 220Kohms for Toshiba and 510Kohms for NEC. The NEC tubes would have been only in early units. Serial number 18000 and higher have 360Kohms and only used Toshiba CRTs. Asking around here it is possible we never actually used NEC tubes in the 22A Trackers but the circuit was designed to handle them (with a resistor change).
Also Steve, a quick search of Bay show several Toshiba tubes up for sale.

jvthorsley

Hi Curtis
Had a look on Ebay nothing there, and a search on Google showed some suppliers but not Ebay even Stateside.
Suppliers in the US seem to think your going to start manufacturing with this obsolete part and insist on silly minimum orders.
If you have the time could you email the linK to this Ebay Toshiba 85 DB31 C.R.T.

admin

jvthorsley

Different part number Curtis.
The Ebay link you give doesn't claim to be good for the Huntron Tracker 2000.
The Huntron C.R.T. had the Huntron Part No.07-4018, and Toshiba Part No.85 DB31.
Just says:- Huntron 407-4018 3" CRT
For use with Huntron 1000 / 1005 / 5100DS
Tracker Component and Board Analyzers.

Steve.AES

Hi Curtis as I said earlier the Caps at C18 and C19 run very hot to the touch with the tube both in and out, I've removed the diodes D1 and D2 and found a very slight difference using a meter both measure O/C one way and one measures 1.1818 the other 1.1845 climbing to .1859 the diodes are HV30 do you know where they can be purchased in say a 5 quantity and not the 1000's or do you think they are good?
thanks for the ebay link but I think those tubes are not for the 2000