Buyer Beware - Used KJ3 ProTracks being sold

Started by admin, August 23, 2022, 08:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

We want to post a word of warning that we are seeing a lot of ProTrack KJ3 models showing up on EBay and possibly other auction sites. These units are surplus and in most cases will be missing parts inside such as the CRT PCA and the Flash PROM. The ProTrack is old and Huntron does not have these parts. These ProTracks should be sold as "Parts only" but some are posted as "Used, Good working condition".

If you are looking at a used ProTrack make sure you see images posted that show a horizontal trace on the CRT and menu text on the LCD.

Also, Huntron will not sell Workstation 4.3 licenses for KJ3 ProTracks.
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jvthorsley

The KJ2 version is a safer bet to buy.
As long as Curtis says "If you are looking at a used ProTrack make you see images posted that show a horizontal trace on the CRT and menu text on the LCD".
But the KJ2 version does not have the USB adaptor that Huntron no longer stock.

admin

KJ4 units are out there as well and usually intact. They command a higher price though. It is hard to visually tell the KJ3 from the KJ4 so ask for a serial number.

jvthorsley

Surly all ProTracks have a KJ number on the rear panel.
So if a seller on EBay is selling one,  a reasonably sharp photo of the rear should show if its a KJ3 OR KJ4 version.
Without checking the Serial No.
Or Curtis is this not the case?

admin

All Trackers have a serial number on the back but if a seller doesn't include that in the description or images for a ProTrack then it is difficult to tell.

admin

I want to add to the information supplied in the first post of this thread. KJ3 ProTracks used a different software release that was custom to the military so these units cannot use the commercial version of Huntron Workstation. So, if you contact Huntron wanting to get software for your KJ3 unit we will not be able to supply it.

jvthorsley

Hi Curtis
Good for Huntron getting a Military contract, but what did you sell your commercial customers at the time?
If the firmware on the ProTrack KJ3 version was only designed for a version of Workstation for your Military contracts, what version did you sell you commercial customers, KJ2 or was the KJ4 available then?
And would I be correct in saying that the ProTrack + Scanner had the same frequency, volage, & resistance ranges on all the ProTracks from KJ1 through to KJ4.
Except of cause the KJ1, & KJ2 used a parallel or Centronics Port. But as Windows updated their operating system Huntron designed a USB Adaptor Card for the KJ1, & KJ2 versions. The KJ3 (Military version), & KJ4 had a USB Port as standard installed, plus surface mounted components on the main logic board.
So would I be correct in saying that the KJ2 is a better prospect to buy if finances are not available to buy a KJ4, or even a 3200S?
At least all the components are still available for the KJ2 through hole components (Some searching & equivalents for some of them) as I have covered on repairs to my own two ProTracts as detailed on this Forum.
And unlike the 2800S you have in the ProTrack a system capable of scanning 128 pins on the end of an IDE Ribbon cable. And very useful too!

admin

As the designs for the ProTrack main board changed (caused by parts going obsolete) the firmware would change with them. Functionally, all of the ProTracks were the same. The KJ3 units had some differences that were requested by the Navy (such as the yellow banana test jack on the back) that did not relate to how they were used by the techs.

jvthorsley

Yes Curtis
But what did you say to commercial customers who wanted a ProTrack plus Workstation?
Did you sell them the KJ2 or KJ4, as the KJ3 plus Workstation was designed for the US Navy?
Perhaps EBay should be made aware of the problem with the ProTrack KJ3.

admin

Sorry James. I never answered your question. Initially the KJ2 models were  sold commercially when the KJ3 was supplied to the military. The KJ2 ProTrack was replaced by the KJ4 when we went to the SMD design PCBs for the commercial version.

jvthorsley

Hi Curtis
So am I right in saying that any commercial user buying the ProTrack KJ3 on Ebay and getting it working is not going to be able to run it on a commercial version of Workstation 4.3?
Only the U.S. Navy version will run on a KJ3?

admin

The straight answer is that Huntron will not support a KJ3 for non-military use. The US Navy is switching to the Tracker 32S (the military version of the 3200S) but KJ3 ProTracks are still in use.

jvthorsley

Hi Curtis
That doesn't quite answer my question.
Are you saying that Workstation 4.3 commercial version would work with a ProTrack KJ3.
But Huntron will only supply it for commercial users of the ProTrack KJ2, & KJ4?
Fair enough if that is how it is.
But just out of interest what are differences between the models apart from physical differences already mentioned?

admin

The KJ3 units will not activate with commercial software. There are some firmware differences as well because of the range settings the US Navy Gold Disk program used. It is more legacy support than anything.

jvthorsley

Thank you Curtis
That clears it all.