Call for Software Requests

Started by admin, November 06, 2009, 09:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Hello all,
The new release is posted so I thought I would put out a call for input on new software features. Granted, the wish list already has quite a few suggestions but it never hurts to ask, right?
So, go ahead and post requests here and open it up for discussion.
Thanks!

Curtis
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

Achcee

I would like to see a simpler version of the troublesheet report. Right now it can be many pages long.

Maybe show the probe position in the Image view of the board.

Thanks.

HC

AES Wind

:'( I'm still looking for the ability to scan a component from the troublesheet pane.  A rescan/scan ability would be really cool!  A rescan opens would be cool too. 

Thank you Master Splinter! 

Rob
Support Our Military.  FLY Navy!

admin

Thanks for the input!
All of the suggestions so far are being considered, especially rescanning opens from the Troublesheet (one I would like to see also) and having a stripped-down version of the Troublesheet report.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Curtis

cimbian

Curtis,
How about a parallel/perpendicular function for teach?

Set a datum line from a pin grid, pad array or trace on the PCB, then use parallel/perpendicular mode for teaching DIP/SIP/Multi etc. using the datum as 0 degree. This could speed-up manual teach plus reduce correction step time.

Steve.
English may be a strange language but I can assure you that an empty-head and an open-mind are not the same thing!

admin

Quote from: cimbian on November 14, 2009, 06:11:29 AM
Curtis,
How about a parallel/perpendicular function for teach?

Set a datum line from a pin grid, pad array or trace on the PCB, then use parallel/perpendicular mode for teaching DIP/SIP/Multi etc. using the datum as 0 degree. This could speed-up manual teach plus reduce correction step time.

Steve.

Hmmm... I think I am going to need a bit of clarification. It this done visually on screen such as "drawing" a line to mark an array of pins? Is it done numerically?
Thanks.

Curtis

cimbian

Hi Curtis,
Draw a line along some known reference (pad edges, not pins for example) and set this as a datum (north-south or east-west). Once the datum is set the movements in teach can be set to be either parallel or perpendicular to this line.

This could make teach even faster than it is now.

Steve.
English may be a strange language but I can assure you that an empty-head and an open-mind are not the same thing!

admin

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. Suggestion duly noted to the next version wish list.

cimbian

Curtis,
Another suggestion:
In teach mode with a DIP/SIP/Multi click adjacent pins and have the spacing multiply my the number in the group... Save scrolling all the way to the end of the row... clearly better used on larger pads but nonetheless valid and easily verified by the programmer... again, a faster way to program.

Relies on knowing the alignment of the PCB artwork as in my last suggestion.

admin

Hi Steve,
The plan is to use the "Pin Spacing" field in the Component settings to update the Travel distance automatically when in Teach mode. This way you only need to click the XY travel arrow the direction you wish to move. This is similar to what you suggested.
Thanks.

Curtis

cimbian

Curtis, could we use a routine to measure the pin spacing in teach... Measure adjacent pads (edge to edge of identically sized pads) and then update the component pin-spacing field?

admin

Hi Steve,
Some sort of on-screen measurement tools have been suggested before and I think they could be useful. I am not sure of the programming impact regarding their use in updating the database (the Pin Spacing in this case) but anything is possible (our favorite saying -- "it's only software").
Thanks!